5G and Smart Cities
Organisations today are confronted by exponential amounts of data, in many different formats and from a variety of sources. This data growth is showing no signs of slowing, with one International Data Corporation (IDC) study estimating that the amount of data created, captured, and replicated across the world could grow from 33 Zettabytes (ZB) in 2018 to 175 ZB by 2025.
The pressure on the network infrastructure to support demand for all these bandwidth-hungry applications and services is enormous. The mobile industry is offering up the arrival of 5G as a solution to issues of speed and performance. Promising mobile data download speeds that are up to 100 times faster than 4G, the expectations of what 5G can deliver are high.
Top five questions include:
- Will private networks take the lead due to public network coverage taking too long?
- How much light can be shed on Dark Fibre?
- Reality of local authority’s collaboration?
- 10G – dream or nightmare?
- Who’s keeping an eye on the development of relevant technology